July 01, 2008

16 Feet to 16 Miles - Part 2

When I got out of the hospital a few days after the attack, my son brought me home and then we went to Trader Joe's to buy food and start me on my journey to a new, healthy lifestyle.

At Trader Joe's, I had to stop after 16 feet just walking across the parking lot. While shopping, I had to stop after 16 feet and lean against the freezer case. You get the idea.

But today, the number 16 means something different.
Last Friday, I power walked 16 miles in about 4 hours.

It didn't just happen. I started slowly though I was determined to push myself hard. I paid close attention on every walk and every moment in rehab...listening to and learning from my body. I tried to find my physical and emotional limits along the way starting from a 3 minute stroll on the treadmill.

Over time, I've now biked miles with my son, hiked in Yosemite, climbed hills in a cemetery to push my cardio workout further and to condition my legs for stamina. I moved on to climbing 600 stairs every morning while starting on longer walks...1 mile, 3 miles, 5 miles, then 8 miles to the beach and back and around the neighbor hood.

And then, I thought I'd try and walk 14 miles to celebrate Father's Day. And then, last Friday...my first attempt at power walking 16 miles.

16 feet to 16 miles in 10 months.

Toss in losing 95 pounds and I'm off to a good start. Of course, I'm not done. I have 75 more pounds to lose and I want to keep my power walking regimen going strong. Yea, I battle daily with plateaus on the weight loss but none of it measures up to the amazing little girl, Mia, and her battle against her acute myloid leukemia.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home