June 29, 2009

Don't Know If They'll Sell

My wonderful sister has helped me select 60 images and complementary frames to exhibit in a store display window and perhaps the store itself, though that isn't likely.

The deal? Shopping center owner thinks the empty store might look better with my photos in the windows and so I was asked to put a display together.

Only 24 will fit in the 6 large windows so I'd love for management to see all 60 and say I could open the store as a mini gallery of my images until they find a rent-paying tenant. That idea has a snowball's chance in hell of happening but that's the direction I'm hoping to move their thinking.

It's costing me $1300 to mount the 'exhibit' and I'm hoping to sell all of them...hahaha though I don't think that likely. But I gotta give it a shot. Free, some visibility, maybe make some connections...who knows.

Though it's only me sitting barefoot in an empty store framing away listening to my computer's iTunes, I put up OPEN signs in the windows and had some Italians visiting America come in and was pleased they actually marveled at many of the photos.

I need to start taking lira.

Ciao!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea! I lived in Europe once and a sketch artist did portraits which were exhibited in the same way. The store was closed, but new pictures were added every couple of days and proved to be a little attraction in itself. The artist had contact info on small brochures in a little plastic holder stuck to the glass for people to take if they wanted one.

Perhaps try the rotation method yourself. Don't try to show all 60 at once. Show 10-15 of the best (don't clutter the window) and leave a neat stack of the others on the floor behind them with a sign saying "new pictures each week" or something like that.

I also know a gallery which was on my bus route home from classes that changed the two in its windows weekly. Everyone in the bus always looked...

If you tried the open store idea, that involves sitting there all day and having public liability insurance. Better to sit at home and make more nice pics! :-)

:-)

Youknowwho

June 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home