April 01, 2009

Hoooo...Hoo Hoo...Hoooo

I've gotten back on track with eating properly and exercising. I hike 4-5 miles up and down
hills at Kenny Hahn Recreation Area every morning starting about 6 a.m.

Since it's usually still dark, I can enjoy the quiet hush of the city which is just rising from slumber.
The owls are at their grandest with a long hoooooo two short hoos and then one more long hoooo.

Sometimes the fog blankets the ground and smothers any noise, except the owls. At the bottom of gullies where the go is thickest, the temperature drops about 10 degrees until I climb out.

In addition to the distance, my main goal is a heavy duty cardio workout....getting the heart pumping hard and sustained for a few minutes and then leveling out a bit so it can recover.
Repeat.

I hike various routes but always get three big hills in...Kick Butt Hill, The Executioner, Killer Hill,
or Grand Pain Grade. My goal is always to try and do each hill without stopping.

The wildflowers are so profuse and the trails often so narrow that the 6 foot tall growth creates a corridor for parts of my walk.

Everyone is pretty friendly thought there aren't many folks I come across before sunrise. But those I do all say hi. Not so much as a greeting but rather a kind of warning radar letting the person you pass know you are harmless.

I've come across Bob and Paul, two older guys 60 and 66. Nice guys who stop and chat a bit.
Willis is an 80 year man who shuffles along with his cane. And on the highest trail I once came across three old ladies 82, 84 and the 85 year old walking her little poodle and using her cane.

More later.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home